Downtown Art works with teen artists to create original theater, music, and performance events and to champion the capacities of young people in a world which often dismisses their contributions.
The company takes the following core concepts as central to all programs it develops:
- The work of young artists can be powerful and renewing for the entire community.
- Young artists can make work that is on a par with that of adults—work that is complex, thoughtful, resonant, and insightful.
- Adults habitually underestimate the capacity of teens.
- To grow creatively, teens need serious creative challenges. To grow as community leaders, teens need both a community and opportunities to lead within it.
- The creative and leadership contributions of teens to NYC are under recognized and under supported.
- By demonstrating the capacity of the teens in our company, Downtown Art demonstrates the potential in all teens.